Easy To Learn Blogging with WordPress Guide For Beginners
Welcome to this exclusive edition of GC “easy to learn WordPress guide for Beginners” where you will be learning why to choose WordPress for blogging and how to setup your new WordPress blog step by step. This exclusive guide will cover most of the tips and tricks for effective writing and marketing your blog.
I have also mentioned some pro tips for existing bloggers that might be helpful in making their blog more professional.
Topics being covered in this WordPress guide are:
- Where and How to select a Web-Host and a Domain Name for your blog with some of my personal recommendations.
- How to install WordPress at your cPanel.
- After successful WordPress installation, what immediate WordPress configuration is required – A step by step guide with pictures.
- Essential WordPress plugins recommendations for you blog with their use to know the “why” of using it at your WordPress blog.
Question: Why to use WordPress for Blogging?
Because It’s super easy! Setting up a WordPress blog and making it live online for your readers takes not more than 10 minutes and does not require any coding skills.
NOTE: This WordPress Guide for Beginners is updated on regular basis. You are advised to bookmark this page for your updated knowledge. For related articles, you can also refer to my WordPress Catalogue.
Selecting a Web-Host And Domain Name For Your First Blog
Although it’s FREE of cost to create a blog with WordPress if you just want to write your blog and make it live. Simply visit wordpress.com, sign up and create your live website.
A 4 steps simple procedure to setup you WordPress Blog:
Step 1: Write down your website title, Topics and their category
Step 2: Select your Domain Name available. Note that it’s Very Important to select a “ .wordpress.com” suggestion from the list for your FREE Blog Website.
Step 3: Now Select the plans as per your needs. For your FREE WordPress Blog select the FREE option as shown in the image below
Final Step 4: Entre you email address, your username and password to signup for your FREE WordPress Blogging account.
Voila!! Congratulations!! You are now a WordPress blogger.
Now, Let’s, Compare Pros and Cons of a FREE WordPress Blogging Website:
Pros of Free WordPress Blogging:
- Free Live website: Nothing can be compared with a freebie. It’s always a happy moment. Create your own live blogging website and share with your friends and the world.
- Free hands on Blogging experience: For any beginner, it’s like a golden opportunity to gain hands on experience without actually investing anything. For gaining knowledge, you can always refer to there official blogging pro tips.
- Lots of readers (depending upon your content): Create you own audience without spending a penny.
Cons of Free WordPress Blogging:
- No Monetization is allowed: Most common blogger revenue strategies like Google Adsense, Facebook Networks or Affiliate Marketing are not allowed and are under regular checks by WordPress.
- Less Flexibility with Plugins and Themes: Its not allowed to install any plugins to increase your website’s functionality. Themes provided cannot be fully customized or personalised.
- Domain Restriction: Your domain will always end up with “.wordpress.com”
- SEO Difficulty: Doing SEO on your FREE WordPress Blogs is always difficult as your website is not listed on the main server of WordPress.
Now, we all want to earn money, that’s why we are working right !!
So, let’s talk some sense now!
Always go for buying a Domain Name and a good hosting services (unless you are a Tech Savvy and thinking to use your own computer as a host).
Buying a Domain and a good Hosting services (which basically means very few or no down time with cheapest possible price in the market), is a Piece of Cake nowadays. There are plenty of hosting services making it a highly competitive market, thus, we can be confident to buy a service within our budget but also comparing all is a hacky process.
Question: What should be done? How do I know that this is the hosting type and Domain Name for my category blog?
Answer: Go with the expert’s advice always. Internet is the most dynamic thing on the planet. Keeping up with the updates are not always possible. So the professionals who has at least 5 years of experience can give you the best advice.
I have been working in Internet industry for almost 8 years now. I have tried multiple Hosting services and finally landed up at Godaddy.com
I am presently running my 7 websites with Godaddy.com and the best part about them is there customer support services. For a non-technical/non-coder, handling a cPanel can be sometimes gets tricky. Godaddy’s Customer Care services is what keeps me going on with them.
NOTE: I’m not an affiliate with Godaddy.com and I’m not earning in any way with this recommendation.
Tips for Choosing a Domain Name for you Blog:
- Identify your Audience Location: If you targeted audience is a specific country, for example India or United States, then it’s better to choose, “.in” or “.us” domains respectively. If you want to generalize your website globally, then you must choose a “.com” or “.org” (Note: In generalized domains, it will be much more difficult to do SEO and be ranked on first page)
- Use Keywords: Try to put a keyword in your Domain name.
- Avoid Fancy Characters: Do not put any fancy character like “/” or “|” etc. It might be a problem in you SEO and ranking criteria of a search engine.
- Keep it Short: One-word name is always recommended but very hard to find one. Still, try to maintain the name up to maximum of 2 words. It won’t impact your ranking much.
- Avoid Strings: “Strings” a technical Jargon for numbers. Try not to add any Number like “myblog99.com” etc. It will rank you down.
NOTE: For Blogs, rest is a matter of your Content Relevancy and your relevant audience selection.
Now that you have selected your Domain Name and Hosting service, let’s install your FREE WordPress application at you cPanel. It will take not more than 2 minutes.
How to install WordPress in Godaddy.com cPanel:
- Step 1: Login to your cPanel account and find the option “Installatron Application”
Step 2: In the search bar, type WordPress and click on it to open.
Step 3: Simply click on Install. Fill the details asked and Voila!! It’s done!
- Simply call at Godaddy.com customer care services and get it done. (Real beauty of Godaddy.com)
Welcome to the WordPress Bloggers Community.
Now just wait a bit more!! Before you start writing you blogs, it’s important to Configure your WordPress platform for its best use.
NOTE: These configurations does not require any coding.
8 Important Configurations To Do Right After Installing WordPress or Creating a WordPress Blog:
A) Remove/Deleting pre-installed Posts, Page and Comments:
On the left top side of your WordPress Dashboard You can locate following options:
- Posts: Click on it, find the post “Hello World” and Delete Permanently.
- Pages: Click on it, Locate Sample Page and Delete Permanently.
- Comments: Finally, open this tab and Delete the given Default Comment.
B) Set Your Website Title, Tagline and Time Zone:
On the left down side of the tabs, locate and select Settings > General.
Website Title and Tagline are shown in Google Search. Thus, it’s important to change it as per your category.
NOTE: Try to put your Relevant Keywords in both Title and Tagline.
Set you Time Zone to see all the reports and updates in your time zone.
C) WordPress Ping List:
By Default, WordPress is set to ping only one service. It means that as any posts is updated or created, WordPress will ping the respective service and inform about your update. Thus, it’s always better to have more ping services. You can simply copy and paste the list form Here >>
D) Media Settings For WordPress Blog:
In the section Settings > Media set all the sizes to Zero as shown below in the image.
This will significantly improve the way WordPress handles the images.
E) Discussions/Comments Setting for WordPress Blog:
In the Section Settings > Discussion, there are lots of options. So, just follow the image below. For any questions, please write us at email@example.com
F) Permalinks Settings for WordPress Blog:
In the section, Settings > Permalink, select “Post name”
Your posts names and titles contain keywords. Thus, if added in your permalinks, will make your posts links more relevant to rank by search engines.
G) Disable WordPress Directory Browsing:
It’s probably one of the most important WordPress configuration you need to do. This will disable hackers browsing your directory. Else, they can easily find a loophole in some plugin and hack your website.
- To protect your directory, you need to add a small piece of code to your “.htaccess” file in your cPanel.
**CODE TO ADD: Options All -Indexes
To Learn more on this topic, please write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
ESSENTIAL PLUGINS FOR WORDPRESS BLOG BEGINNERS:
Perfect! Now you have successfully bought the Domain and Hosting, Installed WordPress and Configured WordPress as per your Blogging Category requirements.
Now, Plugins area is the “Best Part of Using WordPress”. You can increase your website’s flexibility to customize as per your needs “without writing a single code”.
So, let’s begin with some essential plugins for your WordPress blog:
- Akismet spam blocking WordPress Plugin
- WordPress SEO by Yoast SEO
- Wp Fastest Cache plugin for WordPress Caching
- Social Warfare for better social media engagements of your WordPress blog.
- Wp Statistics to monitor your daily traffic at you blog and website. You can also export IP address and related data for further analysis.
- Google Analytics is the best tool to see through the data insights for your overall website, but you cannot export data of originated traffic. Although you can take screenshots for your reports.
- Imagify WordPress plugin to compress your images to make them load faster.
- Really Simple SSL WordPress Plugin to remove mixed content error and display that green lock in the Domain Bar to look it secure. (NOTE: You have a SSL Certificate purchased before and linked with you website. It’s important for good SEO)
- Mailchimp WordPress plugin to collect leads and stay connected with your readers.
Soon Learn More about:
- Effective Marketing Tips Like Essential SEO, Paid Advertising For Your WordPress Blog.
- Tools And Platforms To Monetise And Start Making Money From You WordPress Blog.
Thank you very much for reading and leaving your precious comments.Stay Connected and write me an email at email@example.com for more helpful tips, insights, and guides!
IMPORTANT NOTE: There are no affiliate links anywhere, which means that I will NOT get any commission on anything you follow from above. I am only recommending products & services that I prefer.